I got the following email from MoveOn.org this morning, but I’m always getting grandiose action items from them that don’t take into account that Oklahoma has completely hopeless representation in DC. So I wondered if there really would be such an event in OK.
Dear MoveOn member,
August is the make-or-break month for health care reform.
Can you come to an event with Senator Tom Coburn in Oklahoma City tomorrow at 12 p.m.?
Right-wing extremists have been crashing tons of events and trying to dominate the national debate. We can’t let them succeed—so MoveOn members are pushing back with Real Voices for Change, an ambitious campaign to show that the overwhelming majority of Americans support President Obama’s plans for change.
Now, we need to make sure Sen. Coburn knows that his constituents are counting on him to pass health care reform with a real public health insurance option—that’s the key to expanding coverage and helping bring down costs for all of us. Important votes on health care will come up as soon as Congress returns to Washington, so this is the critical moment to stand up for health care reform.
The event location in Oklahoma City is: Chase Bank, Lobby. Click here to RSVP:
We’re in a critical month for President Obama’s agenda. Corporate lobbyists are trying to weaken or kill both his health care and energy plans.
And recently, right-wingers have been hijacking town halls and other public events. They’re even using fraudulent tactics, like bringing in people who don’t live in the district.1 We urgently need to make sure everyday constituents are heard in the public debate over health care—and coming to this event is a timely and easy way to do that.
Can you be there on Monday at 12 p.m.?
Thanks for all you do.
–Nita, Anna, Lenore, Ilya and the rest of the team
1. “Local Fox Reporter Attends Town Hall And Finds ‘Some Attendees Admit They Don’t Live In The District,'” Think Progress, August 4, 2009
But later I got an email from the Oklahoma County Democratic Party promoting the event, so it’s on; local progressives are on it and fighting back.
Can you come to an event with Senator Tom Coburn in Oklahoma City or Del City? Join fellow Democrats in attendance at the Coburn Town Hall Meetings.
Important votes on health care will come up as soon as Congress returns to Washington, so this is the critical moment to stand up for health care reform.
Downtown Oklahoma City
Monday, August 24, 2009
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
Chase Bank building lobby
100 North Broadway, NW Corner of Main and Broadway
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Del City Town Hall
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
4:00 PM -5:00 PM
First Southern Baptist Church of Del City
6400 South Sooner Road
Oklahoma City, OK 73135
Take a few minutes to read through the facts, and possible misrepresentations, before going to the meeting, we have provided a couple of links below.
Here is a web site that offers many useful tools and resources including signs you can print out at home to bring to the event (signs found down at #6, Share with Others): http://www.everydaycitizen.com/2009/08/all_hands_on_deck_we_need_your.html
Here is information offered by the White House that may also help you.
If you cannot link directly, please visit healthreform.Gov : http://www.healthreform.gov/
Why Oklahoma Needs Health Reform:
- How Health Insurance Reform Will Benefit Oklahoma
- Why Oklahoma Needs Health Care Reform: By the Numbers
- Why Middle Class Americans Need Health Reform
- Health Care in Rural America
- OK State Report: Lack of Competition in Health Insurance Market
- Health Insurance Coverage in Oklahoma Keeps Shrinking as Premiums, Family Costs Continue Climbing
- Health Reform Is Good for Doctors and Patients
Clearing Up the Myths: Debunking the Junk in the Health Reform Debate
- Reality Check: Reform will eliminate insurance discrimination against the disabled
- The return of the viral email
- Reform will stop “rationing” – not increase it
- The “euthanasia” distortion on help for families
- Vets’ health care is safe and sound
- Reform will benefit small business – not burden it
- Your Medicare is safe, and stronger with reform
- Fight the Smears
- Answering your questions on health reform
- Sorting facts from fiction in health care reform
- Stop Distorting the Truth about End of Life Care
- No ‘death panel’ in health care bill
We need to make sure Sen. Coburn knows that his constituents are counting on him to pass health care reform with a real public health insurance option—that’s the key to expanding coverage and helping bring down costs for all of us.
Thanks for all you do!
Oklahoma County Democrats
Deeds of Giving are the Foundation of the Democratic Party
So if you have quixotic courage and faith in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds (this IS Coburn we’re talking about), join me and others to show Oklahoma that there are sane alternatives to the tea bag fear and madness.
Note that MoveOn suggested getting there at 10 AM for the Noon event.